[afnog] Bridged Access Network

Vincent Mwamba davince01 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 08:31:39 UTC 2013

Hi All,

We recently experienced a bad broadcast storm on our bridged(flat) access
network caused by our customers sending broadcasts into our network.
Our current design is we have multiple high sites in a town which have
WiMAX access points(bridged mode)/point to point radios/fttx terminating
onto a switch, we see broadcasts from all these customers. We have
seperated some of the services to have their own Vlans but as soon as the
numbers grow in each Vlan we see these issues again. The customer traffic
from each high site is carried over our layer 2 access back to a single
aggregation router.
Some High sites are aggregation points for more remote sites and for
redundancy links, which has caused us spanning tree issues in the past.

What is the best way to grow the flat network and avoid spanning tree
headaches.
What is the best practice to provision the various services we offering to
our customers and avoid broadcasts?
How are other ISP doing it?

Thanks

./Vinny