[afnog] Bridged Access Network

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 08:51:33 UTC 2013

Hello Vin,

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Vincent Mwamba <davince01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> <<snip>>
>

> The customer traffic from each high site is carried over our layer 2
> access back to a single aggregation router.

Wow! looks like too much to chew for the poor single router. Which seem to
be the only layer 3 device.

> Some High sites are aggregation points for more remote sites and for
> redundancy links, which has caused us spanning tree issues in the past.

The hard fact is you need to spend a few coins and get layer 3 devices for
the High sites. Especially those that are pop to other sites

> What is the best way to grow the flat network and avoid spanning tree
> headaches.

I say try as much as possible to avoid spanning tree (if you can), also try
to reduce switching as much as possible at your core.

> What is the best practice to provision the various services we offering to
> our customers and avoid broadcasts?

Could you explain what a typical customer end looks like i.e do they
connect by pppoe, dhcp or static IPs/ have you got a layer 3 device at each
customer premises?

> How are other ISP doing it?
>
> N/A ;-)

Cheers!