[afnog] Bridged Access Network

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 09:39:01 UTC 2013

Okay Vin,

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Vincent Mwamba <davince01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Seun,
>
> We have Layer 3 devices at each customer premises with static IPs from a
> pool assigned to a service e.g a /24 static pool. But we do get customers
> who plug their links into a switch at their end.
>
> Hmm....so if i get this correctly, you assign say 192.168.4.0/24 to a
customer, who then plug in into a switch and assigns static to all its
users (or dhcp as the case maybe) and this the activity (including
broadcast) by those users gets to you.

Yeah thats the normal and expected behaviour. A first thing to do is to
limit the subnet you are assigning to customers to say /30 or /28 max. The
prefix you assign to the customer would only be a broadcast within the
customer end since broadcasts are within subnets. I presume you have a/some
routing protocol(s) running at your say distribution and definitely at the
core.

On a lighter note, if you have layer 3 devices at your customer premises,
then you just need to run a few more layer 3 at the pops (high ends
connecting to other sites). Even with the current setup, i am still
wondering how you receive broadcast storm from the customer since they have
their subnets? Perhaps the broadcasts is coming from devices directly
connected on the switch at the pops(high ends)

Cheers!