[afnog] MONITORING WIRELESS APs AND USERS

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 07:35:12 UTC 2013

On 12/09/2013 07:23, Ali Abdullahi wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> In our organization here, we have quiet a number of Cisco APs that give wireless service to users with hand-held devices and laptops and we have about 3 buildings which of course all have the cisco APs installed. So those APs are all hooked up to a cisco wireless controller in which we manage the APs from a GUI. My question is, is it possible to monitor people that are connected to the wireless using the cisco wireless controller...maybe if there is any config to do to monitor anyone connected to the APs for effective monitoring? if yes how should it be then and if no then are there any ideas or suggestions on what to do to monitor them?.

By Monitoring, do you mean ...
  1. knowing when the login/logout? or
  2. What website they are accessing at any point in time?
  3. Some form of 802.1x Authentication?

If you want to do 1. ....
  - Install a syslog server.
http://www.slsmk.com/setup-syslog-with-loganalyzer-on-ubuntu-server/
  - Enable Syslog on the AP.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_15_JA/configuration/guide/s15sml.html#wp1035350

If you want to do 2. ...
  - Get the law behind you    (otoh .. You may be the Law :(   )
  - Install and enable CALEA.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/ios/12.2SR/configuration/lawful_intercept/76LIch1.html

But ... life should not be that complex and wicked ;)

If you want to do 3. ....
Perhaps what you need is some form of Authentication and Authorization
on your network, so that only those you permit, should connect, and at
the time you want, perhaps with some bandwidth limit to conserve the
bandwidth you currently have.

Christis Wilson did an excellent presentation on Bandwidth management at
AfNOG 2010, available here.
http://www.ws.afnog.org/afnog2010/bw-mgmt/afnog-bmo-presentation-2010.pdf

Good Luck!!

Sunday.