[afnog] MONITORING WIRELESS APs AND USERS

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 09:38:02 UTC 2013

On 12/09/2013 09:49, Ali Abdullahi wrote:
> By Monitoring, do you mean ...
>   1. knowing when the login/logout? or
>   2. What website they are accessing at any point in time?
>   3. Some form of 802.1x Authentication?
>
> Thanks Mr. Sunday...I think I will go with 1 and 2 but I will need more ideas on how to easily deploy a tool that will do the work of "2" for me

As far as I know ... Without some form of 3, you cannot do 1.

"2" in the hands of a nosey perker is evil and can be categorized into
two sub-evils:
     2a - The domains and IP addresses of the website that they visit. -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetFlow
            For what you need here, concentrate on the Thursday of
http://www.ws.afnog.org/afnog2013/nme/summary.html
     2b - details and copies of the actual data that they exchange. -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_Assistance_for_Law_Enforcement_Act

For 2b ... Have you considered how you may be trampling on your user's
rights, and are they aware you will be going this? Perhaps you need to
develop and publish an acceptable use policy and some form of warnings
and deterrents before you finally unleash such evil on them.

Sunday.

Sunday Adekunle Folayan
     blog: http://www.sundayfolayan.name.ng
    email: sfolayan at skannet.com.ng, sfolayan at gmail.com