[afnog] MTU Size for transit links for ISPs

Johan Bernhardsson johan at kafit.se
Fri Sep 20 07:47:21 UTC 2013

Hello,

In my experience its best that both sides has the same MTU size set.

But i bet that some that is a better network ninja than me knows it
better than me :)

/Johan Bernhardsson

On fre, 2013-09-20 at 07:11 +0000, Perreau, Luc wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> We have been working with POS interfaces for a while and with no
> issues at all. Our MTU size is always set to 4500.
>

> However, we have recently installed some Ethernet links with default
> MTU size of 1500. These are STM1 size links and we found that there is
> degraded performance on browsing and download, but P2P torrent traffic
> is not affected.
>

> What is the best way forward to confirm that it is an MTU issue, and
> if so, what is the best MTU size to set? Jumbo (9000) or mutually
> agreed size with the transit provider?
>

> Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>

> regards
>

> Luc Perreau
>

> Cable And Wireless Seychelles Facebook Page
> Cable And Wireless Seychelles Twitter Page

Security all the way ...

Linux/CMS/Network/Print/Virtualisation/VoIP Consultant

Kafit AB
Orgnr:  556792-5945
Mobile: +46705111751
Sweden: +46101993005