[afnog] MTU Size for transit links for ISPs

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Sep 22 14:41:53 UTC 2013

On Sunday, September 22, 2013 01:02:35 AM Randy Bush wrote:

> if we assume s/peering/external/.

Yes, by peering I mean eBGP sessions (be they toward
upstreams, peers or customers).

> and for most networks,
> is not the vast majority of the traffic external.  thus,
> will the above advice not cause your border routers to
> have to fragment all outbound traffic?

MTU size in the core doesn't positively influence external-
to-external traffic, only negatively, i.e., customers-to-
Internet, Internet-to-customers. The customers' or
destination online resource MTU notwithstanding, typical MTU
values for customer-to-provider links tend to be the same as
provider-to-upsteam/peering links, i.e., 1,500 bytes.

We like to set customer-facing ports to 9,178 bytes (a value
that can be standardized across the various Cisco and
Juniper line cards). This really doesn't help off-net
traffic (i.e., traffic heading to upstreams and peers), as
upstreams and peers generally run at 1,500 bytes. It may
help other customers on the same network whom we'll also run
at Jumbo frames, but that setting is only on our side. The
customer would still not only have to configure their router
to support Jumbo frames, but also be able to generate them
from (and accept them on) their computing devices.

> it might be good to negotiate higher mtus with external
> links.

Tend to agree with you. But just as much as the industry has
failed to standardize on Jumbo frames, the majority of
providers we've spoken to about negotiating Jumbo frames
across an IP Transit interconnect have been reluctant to do
so.

Downstream, demand for Jumbo frames comes from customers
looking to hand-off private traffic, i.e., l2vpn's, l3vpn's,
walled-garden stuff like Multicast, e.t.c., which works
because this is all on-net for us, and as such, under our
control. As soon as it leaves our routing domain,
particularly toward the Internet, it becomes like everything
else on the web - best effort.