[afnog] privacy vs caching

Loganaden Velvindron loganaden at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 07:14:08 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> caching is very difficult with end-to-end encryption as the cache does
> not have the private keys of the server.  the ietf is in a bit of a
> muddle on this.  should one allow middle-boxes to break the encryption
> and fake it?

Hi Randy.

I think that it's a very bad idea to allow middle-boxes to break the encryption.

> so which is more important to you and your customers (think consumers,
> banks, news sites, ...), end-to-end encryption to ensure privacy, or
> caching to reduce bandwidth consumption and improve latency?

It depends on the kind of customer. Personally, I believe that having
working security is better, and I can afford a few seconds more in
terms of latency.

> randy

This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
represent those of my employers, either past or present.