[afnog] Frozen emails

Chris Wilson chris+afnog at aptivate.org
Tue Jan 14 15:11:50 UTC 2014

Hi Ryta,

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014, Ryta Kashemire wrote:

> And when i run less /var/log/exim/main.log, the error message i get is:
> -------------
> 1W1zAt-0005LY-7T ** xxx at xxxxxx.co.ug R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT
> TO:<xxx at xxxxxx.co.ug>: host pop.imul.com [41.190.128.29]: 511 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?41.190.128.53
>
> I have checked the site and none of the above ips are on their blacklist..

It's possible that the receiving server (pop.imul.com) has its block list
configured incorrectly, and it's claiming that your mail is blocked when
in fact it's not.

Am I to assume that the sending and receiving mail server are both under
your control, since 41.190.128.29 and 41.190.128.53 are in the same Class
C network?

Because you removed some details from the log message, I cannot tell if
the sender and recipient address are the same, or they are in the same
domain. If they are, then Exim will generate a bounce message, but it
probably won't be able to deliver that message either, because it needs to
deliver it to the same server (pop.imul.com) which is refusing your mail.
In this case there's nothing that Exim can do except freeze the message
for you to inspect later, or throw it away (which will happen anyway to
messages that remain frozen for a week).

The problem is clearly on the receiving mail server, pop.imul.com. That's
where you need to continue investigation, not on the sender side.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 967 838
Citylife House, Sturton Street, Cambridge, CB1 2QF, UK

with company number 04980791.