[afnog] Introducing Southern Africa Network Operators Group - SAFNOG

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 15:32:14 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Nishal Goburdhan <ndg at ieee.org> wrote:

> On 28 Jan 2014, at 4:43 PM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 2:57 PM, JP <froztbyte at froztbyte.net> wrote:
> > On 28 Jan 2014, at 1:25 PM, Kevin Chege <chege at isoc.org> wrote:
> >
> > I'll put this as non-offensively as I can manage, but: why bother?
> > Why create a splinter community instead of just growing the afnog one
> further? I don't see anything immediately listed on your site which
> couldn't form up as a part or chapter of afnog.
> > +1 Perhaps It will be good to hear/understand reason behind this
> initiative(considering that this was sent from isoc.org domain i assume
> its official from ISOC)
>
> that's a terrible assumption  :-)
> (this message is neither an official statement from ieee.org, or
> controlfreak.co.za, or whatever my MUA sticks in ... )
>
> Okay maybe i was just waiting to be poked on that(perhaps by Kelvin
himself "offlist" :) ). However since i did not see a disclaimer, the
default assumption was that Kelvin was sending a mail officially ;)

> > One that quickly comes to mind is distance (the cost to travel to afnog
> training from southern African countries, which ofcourse does not just
> apply to southern africans alone :)).
> > If that was the main reason, I would have thought investing efforts
> towards setting up "National NOGs", would have been more appropriate. Just
> like we have GhNOG, NgNOG, TzNOG etc.
> > The other point would be to ask about afnog hosting process, i.e is
> selection on "best host application" OR "better host application" that put
> region into consideration for fair distribution of the travel cost and
> other costs including language et all.
>
> seun, you've got it.  well, somewhat...
> safnog isn't intended to replace afnog;  nor form a splinter community.
> if anything it's rather to act as a feeder to that larger group.

This may be the initial goal, however you will agree we are in the region
of "limited" and the expected feeder may no longer be realised. Perhaps
what will be realised is that at some point, attendees of SANOG will then
call for a full blown workshop, then they will make priorities due to
"limited" funding/resources and decide to attend SANOG which will most
likely be closer than Afnog events.

there have been several efforts to start smaller country NOGs.  they have
> not always worked.
> not all countries are active (yet) or large enough, to be able to support
> this.

So start the National ones that are ready and get the non-ready ones to
attend the NOGs of those that are ready, with the goal of ultimately
helping them build a local version. As for me; going local should be
ultimate. Once the Idea of Semi-Regional is communicated to the region then
the sense of ownership and responsibility may be lost.

> afnog is also a lot more than just a week of training and workshops, btw
>  :-)

Well SANOG will also grow to that, just that it would have been more
productive if it were expanding locally.

Cheers!
PS: Sure there may be some things you are seeing that i am not ;-)

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*