[afnog] Introducing Southern Africa Network Operators Group - SAFNOG

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 06:27:17 UTC 2014

sent from Google nexus 4
On 28 Jan 2014 19:42, "Kevin Chege" <chege at isoc.org> wrote:

> Some clarifications are in order and maybe also some reasons why
localisation is a good thing for AfNOG.
> Firstly, I am helping SAFNOG in a volunteer capacity hoping to see
another NOG in Africa localise the work that goes on at AfNOG and improve
AfNOG further. Let me also share a good example of how localisation has
helped AfNOG:

Just to be clear, I am not and I don't think anyone had so far implied that
localisation is not a good thing. As a matter of fact, I was once a
beneficiary of localisation before participating at Afnog. The concern
however is that SAFNOG IMHO is not an absolute localisation; it's regional.
While no one is disputing the fact that it's a good thing the question is
whether mechanism has been put in place to ensure sustainability(for
herself and parent). How has it been so far with the eanog which seem to
have a similar concept as SAFNOG,(especially with feeding into Afnog and
it's getting participants and resource people; the site says almost noting).
Just like I had mentioned offlist, i am sure you are well experienced in
this and have weighed the entire overall effect to participants and to
resource people.
Perhaps this effort will also create WANOG for the west Africa in near
future (which I think could be sustainable because it has some local NOGs
that can feed into it).

Overall it's a good thing more NOGs are springing up in this continent and
if not for anything, the SAFNOG brand has been secured and it's
sustainability perhaps can be built gradually.

All the best.

Cheers!

safnog at safnog.org>, "afnog at afnog.org" <afnog at afnog.org>

> Subject: Re: [afnog] Introducing Southern Africa Network Operators Group
- SAFNOG

> sent from Google nexus 4
> On 28 Jan 2014 16:48, "Mark Tinka" <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 05:32:14 PM Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> >
> > > Well SANOG will also grow to that, just that it would
> > > have been more productive if it were expanding locally.
> >
> > Just to be pedantic, it is SAFNOG.
> >
> Yeah I meant SAFNOG apologies for forgetting the "F"
>

> > Also, SAFNOG will remain a pure conference-only event,
> > lasting 2x to 3x days, and no longer.
> >
> Hmmm...pure conference for a technical group(with no tutorial). I look
forward to quote you on this in future ;) although that day may come later
especially if there is enough funding/resources sources at the moment.