[afnog] static mpls

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Jun 12 15:54:56 UTC 2014

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 02:52:51 PM ibtisam jamal wrote:

> We have mpls lsp's that are staticaly configured with
> admin-groups to follow specific paths in juniper m10i

Is the reason you're nailing down the paths related to cost,
reliability, latency or bandwidth? Or something else
entirely?

> I am failing to understand how the RSVP works ,essentialy
> it should do somthing like overflow when it sees that a
> particular link is full it should reroute traffic to the
> next available link  and not keep injecting traffic to
> the link that is full.

Not really - RSVP is used to signal LSP's, first and
foremost.

Secondly, RSVP provides a mechanism to signal and preserve
bandwidth along an LSP depending on operator requirements.

RSVP does not, per se, monitor traffic on an LSP and then
automatically load balance traffic on to another LSP headed
toward the same egress PE router if the primary LSP is
"full". You would have to configure two or more LSP's and
perform load sharing on them (equal or unequal).

MPLS-TE has a concept of Automatic Bandwidth, which is not
necessarily what you're looking for. I'd suggest diving into
it anyway to see if meets your needs:

	http://tinyurl.com/no3ygzt
	http://tinyurl.com/nak9t2l

> May be it does that with LDP.

LDP does not support Traffic Engineering.

You can traffic-engineer LDP LSP's by tunneling them inside
RSVP-TE, but inherently, LDP LSP's always follow the IGP
path. In such a case, the only way to traffic-engineer an
LDP-based LSP is to traffic-engineer the underlying IGP.

> What would be the best tool that can help with traffic
> engineering ?

If you're talking about commercial offline modeling tools,
consider options such as:

	http://www.wandl.com/html/index.php
	http://www.noction.com/
	http://tinyurl.com/nothxps