[afnog] How to convince providers to take the sane option....

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed May 14 06:19:35 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 08:08:10 AM Ishmael Mulli (KE)
wrote:

> I agree with your idea, I believe this policy of placing
> greater significance to external links worked when we
> didn't have significant local content or even  IXPs to
> carry this traffic  and have not evolved fast enough to
> accommodate these changes.

Yes, but also putting the exchange point argument aside,
there are now several African service providers who are able
to provide low-latency connectivity for their customers
between neighboring African countries as a normal part of
the IP operations.

But even then, there is still a lot of inconsistent routing
where traffic between two customers on the same network
located in the same or neighboring African country getting
switched in Europe due to intentional traffic engineering
that prefers to route that traffic off-continent rather than
on-continent.