[afnog] How to convince providers to take the sane option....

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed May 14 08:57:59 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 09:52:00 AM Mathieu Paonessa
wrote:

> 	- Their cost on international link + transit in
London
> is less expensive than what they pay on their African
> ISP. They do pure cost based routing and don't care at
> all about the performance.

I would have said this to be true as recently as 12x months
ago. But based on the little information I have about the
state of the market in eastern and southern Africa, it is
actually slightly more expensive to run a private circuit to
Europe and buy IP from there (which kills intra-African
routing) than it is to hand-off a local x-connect within
Africa for an IP port (which helps intra-African routing).

Certainly, there is sufficiently affordable fibre in this
part of the continent that getting yourself to the nearest
exchange point will not break the bank.

> 	- They may peer with an other upstream of the other
> countries' ISP. Since they get the route thru peering
> and probably have a better local pref, then they route
> traffic based also on cost and not on performance.

While not optimal, I wouldn't mind this as such because
traffic never leaves the continent. So this would be a
welcome step to the utopic goal.

> 	- They are doing some kind of peering war and choose
> deliberately to route traffic to a crappy path in order
> to force the other guy to peer or to protect their local
> market for some reason.

I may be talking out the side of my neck, but from what I
know, this is not happening in eastern (and most parts of
southern) Africa.

I have, however, seen this happen in South Africa.
Admittedly, the peering environment in South Africa is a
little more evolved than in other parts of Africa, so this
kind of peering war would not surprise me for .za.

> Those three can only be fixed by customer pressure asking
> for better performance and raising trouble tickets...

There is no shortage of customer tickets, because some ISP's
are too small to afford the ability of having the choice
that leads to inconsistent routing in the first place - so
they can only buy from a local African ISP. And this is not
a bad thing.

However, even with this, you still get back the response, as
Andrew already mentioned, "Sorry, this is how we do it and
end of story".

It doesn't mean the issues can't get fixed, it just means
you need to put in a lot more energy to that end, just to
get even one fix, let alone all of them.

> 	- None of the above apply and they just don't have
any
> clue what they are doing. That's probably what is
> happening here (and in Andrews' case) and that's also
> the hardest point to fix.

I think there is also a reasonable dose of that. In such
cases, a peer or provider has to work with its peer or
customer in order to educate them on how routing
consistently benefits them in the long run.

For some ISP's, cost is a bigger driver than performance.
But that is true the world over. The difference is that in
the rest of the world (particulary Europe and North America,
which are reasonably fibre-dense), inconsistent routing does
not have as huge a latency impact as it does in Africa, as
all the content being accessed is on the same continent
anyway.