[afnog] Website Monitoring Tool

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri May 16 16:46:06 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-05-16 at 18:45 +0300, Righa Shake wrote:
> Hello Seun,
>

> The objective is to be able to know when a website changes more
> precisely the home page or any new content is added on the page.
>

> I will look at the sites you have suggested, thanks.

I'm assuming this is to check for defaced websites or websites that have
extra pages added for nefarious activities (scams, - etc)?

If I were to do this... It would be part of a "Site Backup" routine....
You only need to make a Backup if there has been a change.
Usually - the pages for a site have to be in a well defined area (the
DocumentRoot).  Find and compute a Checksum for all files. Compare to
the last time, and if there are changes (or no last time), take a
backup... or in your case, send an e-mail.

To Create your checksums to compare against...

for web in *
do
find $web/web -type f -print0 | xargs --null md5sum > $web/.csum
done

* I put all webs in "/home/www/<WebSiteName>/web"
* You need the '-print0' and '--null' because people put spaces in file
names....

Run something similar - but output into say ".csum-new" and
then compare the .csum and .csum-new files.... per website.

for web in *
do
find $web/web -type f -print0 | xargs --null md5sum > $web/.csum-new
cmp -s $web/.csum $web/.csum-new || (
echo "Someone Changed something"
diff $web/.csum $web/.csum-new
) | mail -s "Website $web has changed" foo at adm.com