[afnog] Help Please - is my ISP Stripping my prepends?

Patrick Okui pokui at psg.com
Fri May 30 11:55:04 UTC 2014

On  30-May-2014 14:08:45 (+0300), Alex Rhys-hurn wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I read the long thread started by you the other day about
> de-agregation, and am slowly working to understand all this.

Long story short, if you connect to an IXP announce the /23 plus *ALL*
/24s that you announce anywhere else. This is due to the same rule I
mentioned.

Longest match (think prefix length) wins.

So, someone peering with you at an IXP who sees just the /23 and not a
particular /24 will use the internet to get to you rather than their IXP
connection. (which defeats the purpose)

--
patrick