[afnog] [rpd] IPv4 Allocations by Length Statistics for 2014

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Fri Nov 7 08:25:46 UTC 2014

Hello Adam and all,

On Nov 7, 2014, at 11:29 AM, Adam Nelson <adam at varud.com> wrote:

> Also, we should keep in mind that other RIRs are doing research - they're just not using information that's under NDA.  RIPE has a ton of probes in Africa sucking up data.  Here's mine for instance:
>
> https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/16410/#!tab-network

Let me add few point so that the discussion does not take an ever ending route.

Yes, RIR does Research and AFRINIC has just created (last month) a new Department for R&D (lead by Alain Aina)  which will be focussing on Network Research and Analysis, but only on public data. There is no way that AFRINIC will use information provided by LIR during their request evaluation in public research activities (as they are not provided for such activity and are covered by NDA). If non public information are needed for research, the R&D department will conduct separate survey or use which ever legal means are available to collect them.

AFRINIC has also signed a partnership agreement with RIPE for the ATLAS project where by our R&D team will be deploying some anchors and distributing probes (already started) in the region to collect data that are pertinent to some analysis and to build tools that can be useful for our community. A dedicated web page will be released soon for more information about this particular research activity.

I hope this clarified few things.

Thanks.

- a