[afnog] What are the major challenges in enabling Services to run on IPv6?

Malick.Sy at swisscom.com Malick.Sy at swisscom.com
Tue Oct 28 11:03:48 UTC 2014

Mark,
Your basic premise is flawed. There is no cutoff date for IPv4 address so
Facebook (if that is your customer’s way of making money) will keep
working and that has nothing to do with v4 or v6. V4 to v6 tunnel also
brokers exist and are doing fine at the moment (https://tunnelbroker.net
for example) and dual stack platforms also exist. So your panic about
never getting to post on Facebook again, is misplaced and at worse,
premature.

Also I don’t agree with this:

"It all comes together, Malick.

All the cable, wireless and routers on the ground mean
nothing if there aren't any IP addresses.

It's not an either or situation. IPv6 needs as much
attention as broadband penetration.”

I find it rather patronising while adding Zero value.

This bit too

"That is life - but so is life without IP addresses (or with
kludges that try to get different IP protocols to talk).”

So in my humble opinion, another major obstacle to enabling service on v6
(in Africa) or any form of technology, is the “smart-aleck” african
mentality that keeps the continent in mental chains and subservient. The
African trait which means they listen to respond, not to understand or
evolve and they patronise ad nauseum.

v6 should not yet be a priority to Africa as the reasons for the creation
of v6 are not realities on the ground in Africa. Of course, we can flame
all day about who is smarter or who has the quickest responses, the fact
of the matter is African economies and brains should be focusing on ebola
eradication, appropriate technology rather than “wishy washy” statements
that only fill up our mailboxes with junk and only manifest the “always
trying to keep up with the West” mentality. My 2 cents.

And yes, customers constantly ask me for IPv4 addresses, the more security
conscious ones don’t want to have anything to do with v6.  (for the
record, I have v6 enabled on my home router and have not yet found a
compelling use case for it, NONE..NADA so that was the reason for my
initial mail asking about the priority of v6 in Africa, if you can give me
a compelling use case for v6 at the access layer, not the core or the
distribution layer, that would be great.)

Best Regards,
Malick Sy
Sr. Network Engineer

Swisscom (Switzerland) Ltd.
Hospitality Services
2, chemin du Pavillon
Case Postale 2200
CH-1211 Genève 2

Desk Phone:+41 227 407 585
Cellular Phone:+ 41 794 426 765
Fax Number: +41 227 740 7542
Internet: www.swisscom.com/hospitality
This message contains confidential or privileged information and is
intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you
must not use, copy, disclose, forward or take any action based on this
message or information herein. If you have received this message by error,
please advise the sender immediately and delete this message.