[afnog] What are the major challenges in enabling Services to run on IPv6?

Kofi Ansa Akufo kofi.ansa at inet.com.gh
Tue Oct 28 20:37:32 UTC 2014

Hi Geert

Thanks very much for sharing insight in your region.

Funny enough most cities and suburban towns in our african region are currently served by high speed broadband connectivity. At least its easy to get access to 20mbps/2mbps shared broadband internet in my home country. We have used technics like 6to4 tunnels to get connected and experiment with the v6 protocol for some time now (over 3 years) especially in areas where tunnel ends can be reached at less than 75ms (unfragmented v4 packet size of about 1492). Rural penetration is still low but it makes sense to enable both protocol stacks as services are rolled out in the rural communities.

It will be great to see service providers transparently enable or turn-on native v6 support in their networks especially with the xdsl service providers. This will help localized v6 traffic.

Ebola epidermic is a global concern and rather unfortunate some arguements unnecessarily sited analogies far fetched. Nevertheless its amazing how the community stood together defend the course. It would be nice to see that same community come out selflessly to charter policies that will exploit our resources for regional development even when it bites their corporate and marketing strategies

Cheers.

K.