[afnog] [rpd] Re: A typical case of abuse of our resources!!!

Kofi ANSA AKUFO kofi.ansa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 18:12:02 UTC 2014

On 19 September 2014 21:51, Sunday Folayan <sfolayan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/09/2014 18:05, Kofi ANSA AKUFO wrote:
> > On 19 September 2014 20:20, Sunday Folayan <sfolayan at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Dear Koffi and Omo,
> >
> > I am not holding brief for any applicant or hostmaster, but if a
> > request comes, that shows that an LIR can, and will allocate a
> > /12, you want AfriNIC to allocate a /22? Is that the interpretation
> > of 8.3? to wit:
> >
> > <BEGIN 8.3> AFRINIC shall apply a slow start mechanism to all new
> > LIRs. With respect to allocations made by AFRINIC, the first
> > allocation an LIR receives will be the size of the minimum
> > practical allocation described in Section 8.2 (a) unless otherwise
> > justified. The slow start policy is used by all RIR's to prevent
> > allocations of large blocks of address space that may then remain
> > substantially unassigned. AFRINIC implements the slow start
> > mechanism in a consistent and fair manner for every LIR, and will
> > apply the same principles and standards to every applicant for
> > address space. <END 8.3>
> >
> > What about the last clause ... "unless otherwise justified?". Are
> > you saying that: o Applicant did not provide justification o
> > Applicant provided justification but was not ok with hostmasters o
> > Applicant provided justification and it was ok o Applicant provided
> > fraudulent justification o None of the above.
> >

> >> Sunday I believe AFRINIC hostmasters and management should answer
> >> this question. AFRINIC board is appointed by the member community
> >> and should assist to get the answers.
>
> It has been discussed by the community and the hostmasters already
> responded publicly to the community in Djibouti.

What was their responds?

I also did not see any concrete answers to the questions asked in the
slides you sent.

Who approved such huge chunk /12 (over a million IPv4 addresses) in a first
(initial) time request? What does the current policies say about such
requests? What was the out come of the results of hostmasters evaluation?