[afnog] [rpd] Re: A typical case of abuse of our resources!!!

Kofi ANSA AKUFO kofi.ansa at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 08:26:18 UTC 2014

On 21 September 2014 10:07, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Kofi,
>
> sent from Google nexus 4
> kindly excuse brevity and typos.
> On 20 Sep 2014 19:59, "Kofi ANSA AKUFO" <kofi.ansa at gmail.com> wrote:
> >.
> >>
> >> All am trying to point out to you is simple.... We as a community has
> solved so many issues through Policy and By-laws, So rather than waste
> loads of time going back and forth...How about you present a solution to
> his mailing list and the community through a Draft Policy and we move on
> from there....
> >>
> > And we as a community needs to come out with answers to questions asked
> Noah.
> >
> What questions were asked that has not been responded to. (Maybe you care
> to list them?)
>

> We have existing policies in place and I believe some board members
> pointed out that. Hostmasters have also expressed their challenges in some
> of these evaluation at meetings.
> >
> Great thank you for sending this reminder of the realities on ground;
> Staff has always made a presentation of the challenges they face but we the
> community have failed to help them by providing policy that further makes
> application review process easier for them.
>
> > IMHO Policies stand better chance to be effective when issues such as
> these are discussed openly even before they are drafted.
> >
> > I am a firm advocate of Policy and By-Laws especially when we are using
> democratic mechanisms to enact them.
> >
> Good.... Welcome back!
>
> > Perhaps we should also turn to these same mechanisms to address some of
> the challenges of allocation of resources.
> >
> Okay this is progress, so how about we consider this thread closed and
> then you lead by indicating at least 1 challenge and it's corresponding
> proposal to r

In deed the discussion is meant to throw light on some of the challenges
facing the community (both members, staff, board etc) and surely policies
may be born if necessary. I believe I am not being biased to any party but
rather seeking for the good interest of our organisation.

A board member has assured the community hostmasters will soon respond to
the questions asked ...

What are the processes followed for evaluating huge first time allocations
(/16 IPv4 downwards)? They should also tell us how additional request of
similar order is handled.
Do they make any recommendations? To whom?
Who currently signs-off to approve such requests?

I hope the community will much appreciate the need not only to discuss
policy and vote to implement it but will consider to be the ultimate
quarters to interpret and sign off on such allocation for the regions
development.

Cheers

K.