[afnog] JUNIPER EX2200 PoE problem giving power to devices!

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Apr 28 13:03:57 UTC 2015

On 28/Apr/15 14:51, Seun Ojedeji wrote:

> Fortunately as an HEI,

What is HEI?

> i won't have reason to be competing ;-). Standard is known, but
> reality on ground is usually a factor to some organisation (especially
> non-ISPs). In a typical HEI in our region, most back-ups are actually
> devices in use in less density/critical areas, so a failure at a
> critical zone could mean a temporary(or permanent) outage at the less
> critical regions ;-)

Budget allowing, most service providers deploy in two's. So cold
standbys are a luxury in most businesses.

> While an ISP engineer would not worry about doing a gear swap from its
> inventory, a typical HEI engineer would wonder if the present could at
> least serve pending the replacement approval/procurement of a new one.
> However as activities in institutions become more technology driven,
> justifications to have more flexibility in backup inventory would
> occur and an HEI engineer will be glad.

Networks are networks.

A router does not care whether it's being used in an ISP, enterprise,
fast food shop or car wash facility. Networks are networks.

Of course, there are commercial realities with running networks, and I
do not discount that. All I am saying is that if you do not plan for
failure within the constraints of your budget and the needs of your
users, you're setting yourself up.

Doing nothing in the case of failure - and hoping for the best - is also
a strategy. Some may argue it's not a very good one, though...