[afnog] Decreasing Access Time to Root Servers DNS by Running One on Loopback

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Tue Dec 15 15:12:26 UTC 2015

On 15 Dec 2015, at 16:33, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On 14/Dec/15 12:44, Nishal Goburdhan wrote:
>> and, arguably, if someone has problems running a simple
>> recursive DNS server, which, just needs to be locked down to your own
>> address space, the techniques in the earlier mentioned RFC are going
>> to be a lot more unnecessary, and complicated, work for them.
>
> You mean like mom & pop down the road :-)?

heh.  no, actually.  a fair number of “biggish” ISPs often break,
what should be, a really simple-to-provide service (ie.  simple DNS
recursive servers for their clients).  so, even for these “biggish”
guys, (who should really know better!)  reducing complexity is a good
thing.

if you are 110% sure you know what you’re doing;  great, go ahead and
implement the techniques mentioned.
if you’re not, them, imho, it’s not something you should be doing.
i know that if i was still running an operator network, it’s not
something i would ask my dns-admins to implement;  because the
percentage gain, vs additional complexity would not be worth it to me.
ymmv.

as always;  your network, your choices.
—n.