[afnog] Decreasing Access Time to Root Servers DNS by Running One on Loopback

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Wed Dec 16 00:06:24 UTC 2015

On 15 Dec 2015, at 16:53, MANGA Willy Ted wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 14/12/2015 11:44, Nishal Goburdhan a écrit :
>>> [...]
>> the thing with your ISP’s dns caches (assuming they work) is that
>> in the long run, they’re likely to give you the best overall
>> performance.  so,
>
> My only concern with some ISP's dns caches (in Cameroon) is that they
> do not understand they can activate dnssec validations for their
> customers :-\ .
> Thus I prefer to use my own local recursive resolver .

..and that’s a perfectly good reason to run your own recursive dns
service!

but, my point, was that you’re likely to get better performance from
your ISP’s larger cache (by virtue of it simply having more customers
to populate this cache) vs. you, as an individual, using your own
server.
and, as i said in the bits that you’ve snipped out, if you could teach
your ISP how to do this (ie. the dnssec validation magic), which, iirc,
is something like adding two lines of BIND/UNBOUND config, your overall
community would benefit.  versus just you.

of course, that’s simply if you are looking at maximising overall
network performance.  as a single user, maximising performance is
probably not a concern for you, since you’re not doing N*1000 queries
a second.  but as dns-admin of a large network, optimising dns
performance *is* likely to be a concern for you, since, dns is the
starting step to most end-user services.  heck, do operators still
pre-cache? :-)

[this is moving more and more away from a loopback-root discussion, but
it’s still fun.  mtinka, i see a topic for windhoek, next year ;-)]

—n.