[afnog] Decreasing Access Time to Root Servers DNS by Running One on Loopback

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Wed Dec 16 23:42:32 UTC 2015

Nishal Goburdhan (nishal) writes:
> but, my point, was that you’re likely to get better performance from
> your ISP’s larger cache (by virtue of it simply having more
> customers to populate this cache) vs. you, as an individual, using
> your own server.

	I'd like to see data to back that up - not saying it's not
	likely, but I'd like to see real measurements :)

> but as dns-admin of a large network, optimising
> dns performance *is* likely to be a concern for you, since, dns is
> the starting step to most end-user services.  heck, do operators
> still pre-cache? :-)

	What, DNS queries ?

	# if yes, perform prefetching of almost expired message cache entries.
	# prefetch: no

	RFC violation, but heck, you don't ever want fbcdn.net and google.com
	to hit 0 :D

	Phil