[afnog] local pref issue with HE

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Thu Dec 24 04:45:52 UTC 2015

Generally local pref in any major ISP/Telco is done on the following basis (or a variation of the same)

Customer > Peer > Transit

What this means is that any ISP that is following this generally acceptable model and is peered to HE, will prefer the HE route unless they are also peering with your second provider, and as-path prepend won’t help you very much.

You could de-aggregate on the link you want more traffic on, but I’d appeal to you to try and go easy on the de-aggregation (as in, de-aggregate as little as possible to achieve the desired result, the routing table is already to large!)

Thanks

Andrew