[afnog] local pref issue with HE

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Fri Dec 25 16:18:13 UTC 2015

Hi Mark,

I'm seeing a good potential for suboptimal routing.

If you have a Provider TransitA connected to your East and a provider
TransitB connected to your West, and interconnection points far apart in
geography and latency, and TransitA also covers the location in your
West, then any traffic from on-net services and single-homed customers
of TransitA in the West will surely be routed to the East first before
given to you.

Which should cause some unnecessary latency, likely avoided by getting
service from TransitA in the West as well.

There might be plenty of other valid reasons to choose that setup
[ even interfaces cost $$$ ], but in my understanding that's a negative
aspect that remains.
And one should be aware of it.

If there's a general way to work around it, I'd be interested ;-)

Happy holiday season to all!

Frank