[afnog] Juniper MX "timing support" = ?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jan 7 07:01:29 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, January 07, 2015 07:49:29 AM Frank Habicht
wrote:

> While it seems to smell a bit like SDH, I'd appreciate
> more hints, pointers or confirmation about what the
> "timing support" means and does.

Timing, in IP or Ethernet equipment, refers to being able to
provide timing (or to be more precise, clocking signals)
across a packetized network.

As you know, services such as TDM-based voice and circuit-
switch data networks rely heavily on clocking to ensure a
proper service delivery.

In the last 7x or so years, pretty much every type of
communications service has been moving to packet (be it over
IP or over Ethernet, or both), due to better scaling
properties of packetized networks. As such, traditional
service providers needed packetized networks to provide
timing support in order to consider removing legacy
infrastructure, e.g., an IP router providing data services
to a GSM base station.

In came SyncE (Synchronous Ethernet), which essentially
enables the transmission of clocking signals across an
Ethernet network:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronous_Ethernet

The other option is PTP (Precision Time Protocol) also known
as 1588 (IEEE 1588, to be exact), meant to be a serious
improvement from NTP- and GPS-based timing.

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precision_Time_Protocol

All network equipment vendors (Cisco, Juniper, ALU, Brocade,
e.t.c.) all have some kind of Timing support in some of
their products.

For your case, all modular MX80 chassis' support SyncE, but
PTP/1588 is only supported on the -T models due to the -T
models having a better quality oscillator.

The only non-modular MX80 chassis' that support timing are
those of the -T model.

Use-case? Well, say a GSM operator in Tanzania wanted to
migrate their entire backbone from legacy protocols to
IP/Ethernet, and wanted to use you, Frank, as their
provider. GSM services carry voice, and as such, rely
heavily on clocking. In order for them to be truly "next-
generation" (yuck!), they would request you to provide
timing support to their base stations as part of the overall
IP/Ethernet conversion project. This is where you would
engage the capabilities of your MX80 (or whatever other
router/switch you have that supports SyncE or 1588) to pass
clocking signals across the packet links you'd deliver to
your customer.

In practice, nobody really does this. The idea is great but
I'm yet to find a legacy operator willing to entrust their
clocking requirements to a 3rd party provider :-). So what
normally happens in real life is that a legacy opertor will
outsource the data traffic to a packet service provider
(except pretty much all GSM operators today run an IP
network of some sort or other), but mainatin clocking in-
house. Can't say I blame them - clocking is serious business
especially for voice hand-off of mobile calls between base
stations.

Hope this helps.