[afnog] IP transit and Load Balancing

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Thu Jun 11 12:22:38 UTC 2015

On 11 Jun 2015, at 12:00, Joey ESQUIBAL wrote:

> Noted. I can in fact have the ability to pick them up say for example
> in Telehouse North in London or in Telehouse 2 Voltaire in Paris.

so, if you were able to place a router at these locations, and connect
your IPLCs to these, you could then manage your external (to the rest of
the internet) announcements a lot cleaner.  you’d still have to worry
about load-sharing back over those IPLCs to your network, but since this
is inside your network, (ie. your IGP) you can play lots of funny
tricks, inside your network, to make sure the traffic flows the way you
want it to, without this impacting the rest of the internet.
you could also (as mark pointed out) then peer to any local (to that
location) IXP, in the hopes of reducing your transit bill.  in well
connected regions, you’ll find that it’s not uncommon to be able to
peer away about 50% of your network traffic!

if you are starting to plan all of this, i’d strongly suggest that you
spend some time looking through your network telemetry _first_, to make
sure that you know whom to aim for, to get peering, and which transit
operators to choose.  sure, everyone here has an opinion and a horror
story about a large transit provider or two, but, for example, if most
of your network traffic is going to networks in elbonia, you probably
want to aim for transit providers that can get you there quicker.  or,
for IXPs that have elbonian networks connected to them.  great
opensource tools for this are nfsen, nfdump;  or pmacct, and, well, 3min
with your favourite search engine will find you a stack of others…

hth,
—n.