[afnog] .ke DNSSEC issues

Laban Mwangi lmwangi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 10:34:45 UTC 2015

Hi all,

 Looks like .KE is having DNSSEC issues [1], [2].  For a lot of folks
behind validating recursors, .ke is practically down. From my end, ongoing
impact seems to be severe (as expected):
* API calls to .ke. endpoints (Telcos, Banks etc),
* .ke. websites and the most visible being google.co.ke. google.com
redirects .com. services to it's country level domain. So www, maps... are
down for me. I ended up using *.google.co.tz.
* Infrastructure & services (SMTP, whois, news services....)

Poking around with dig, I suspect that the issue started at around
2015-03-31 0400 UTC.

Could anyone give a bump to KENIC folks?

I really hope they conduct and publish a post-mortem.

PS: It would also be interesting to see KIXP traffic graphs for the day [3]

1. http://dnssec-debugger.verisignlabs.com/www.google.co.ke
2. http://dnsviz.net/d/www.google.co.ke/dnssec/
3. https://cacti.tespok.co.ke/cacti/

Cheers,