[afnog] Decreasing Access Time to Root Servers DNS by Running One on Loopback

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Fri Nov 27 08:14:21 UTC 2015

On 27 Nov 2015, at 9:28, Mark Tinka wrote:

> Needless to say, there is reasonable peering of root name servers
> globally, including within Africa.

yes, but the situation can always be made better.  for example, over the
past 18-odd months, there’s been almost a node a month, installed in
this region.  but there’s still large parts of africa that’s not
cross-border peered, or don’t have a local DNS root instance, and
still those, who may be reliant on satellite, and fetching this data
from the north.  a more distributed root would benefit them.

> I suppose the question is - what is "longer-than-desired round-trip
> times"?

here’s an unscientific set of results, from the name-server at my home
in jnb below.  only 10 of these, are what i’d call desirable.

nishal at admin:~ % dig +nssearch . | awk -F ' ' '{print $10, $11, $13}'
server 192.5.5.241 13
server 199.7.83.42 13
server 199.7.91.13 14
server 192.36.148.17 15