[afnog] EXTRACTING A ZIP FILE ISSUE

Daniel Shaw daniel at afrinic.net
Wed Oct 21 09:51:41 UTC 2015

> On Oct 21, 2015, at 1:25 PM, Grace <grace.i at ricta.org.rw> wrote:
>
> I m having an issue while extracting a zip file and here are details of the error:
>
> Archive:  xx.bak.zip
> error [xx.bak.zip]:  start of central directory not found;
> zipfile corrupt.
> (please check that you have transferred or created the zipfile in the
> appropriate BINARY mode and that you have compiled UnZip properly)

Hi Grace,

Well, the .zip file may in fact really be corrupt. In that case there are some possible ways to try and recover, but it also maybe un-fixable.

However, there is another possibility completely, which is this may be one of a multi-part zip archive, split across multiple files. The file name you give makes me think that this is a strong possibility - could that be the case?

If so, you need all the parts to extract it.

Regards,
Daniel