[afnog] Four Misconceptions About IPv4 to IPv6 Migration

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Fri Sep 4 12:26:29 UTC 2015

HI Mark,

I think this is a matter of terminology or definition though.  The moment you are running v6 over EoMPLS, or v6 over VPLS, at the moment you *ARE* running v6 over v4, because the MPLS is built between v4 end points.  Yes, technically you can argue its just a matter of the way the traffic is switched, I argue that it is still on top of v4.

I also would hardly call EoMPLS / VPLS specific use case scenarios, they are INCREDIBLY heavily used.  I point out that even LINX is running on a VPLS network, and TECHNICALLY the native v6 between members is therefore being carried with a v4 backend, because the VPLS is v4 end point based.

Agreed, this shouldn't stop the rollout of v6, but if we want TRUE native v6 everywhere, we have to remove the reliance on v4 entirely, and that is still there. This is ENTIRELY the fault of vendors, and it has to change.

Andrew