[afnog] [INRM]Fw: New AS Number Blocks allocated to the RIPE NCC

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Aug 9 13:08:55 UTC 2016

On 9/Aug/16 14:58, Geert Jan de Groot wrote:

> For the AfNOG meetings, for a few years we have tried to use 32-bit ASNs
> to showcase that it "just works". Actually, in a few cases we've caused
> hardship on our local host because software had to be updated.
> In many cases, the local host actually gratefully made these changes
> to accomedate our 32-bit ASNs. A public thanks to the various
> hosts for doing this work.
>
> As you can see, time is running out as the 16-bit pool is now gone
> at IANA. AfriNIC still have a limited supply but it won't last.
> If you have not updated your  equipment and procedures for 32-bit ASNs
> then you are living on borrowed time and things may get interesting soon.
>
> You may want to check up on this, if you haven't so far.

I would say that we've been doing a lot of peering and turning up
customer circuits in the region, and in the past 24 months, we've come
across a ton of 32-bit ASN's in either context, and haven't had any
issues or exceptions turning those up.

So I think there has been great improvement in this area... a lot more
than IPv6 and DNSSEC implementations, anyway.