[afnog] IPv6 Native Mass Market Deployment arrives in Kenya!

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 12:21:51 UTC 2016

Congrats to you Andrew & Liquid for paving the way!

On 12 August 2016 at 10:32, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>
wrote:

> The next issue was, enabling the SLAAC to the customer (since that only
> works on /64s), and to do this, we’re pushing config to the CPE’s that
> takes a /64 out of the /48 that’s routed and automagically puts it on the
> LAN interface with SLAAC enabled.  This works perfectly with the CPE’s we
> are using, and we’re testing it with other CPE’s to have more variety of
> choice of CPE as well.
>

> Sadly, the CPE’s we’ve seen did NOT do this straight out of the box so we
> have to push a config on installation when a new customer connects.

Not just that, there's no standardised way of dealing with these "Delegated
prefixes". This capability (automatically request a delegated prefix, then
automatically pick /64 from them and push them out LAN interfaces via SLAAC
or DHCP) should be a mandatory requirement when an ISP is procuring CPEs
for IPv6 deployment

We do cover this scenario both theory and labs during our training
workshops.

> The next biggest issue was customers who for some bizarre reason wanted to
> run CPE’s behind the CPE’s supplied (effectively doing dual-NAT on the v4),
> and if those don’t support v6 or aren’t configured for it, there isn’t a
> huge amount we can do.

I'd be curious to know why they are doing that. When I've tried that, it's
always been because i wanted to plug and use my own more powerful CPE with
IPv6 capability (instead of the crappy one ISPs tend to provide)

> With regards to actual machines picking up the v6 where the above scenario
> isn’t happening, zero problems, and we’re actively seeing a large number of
> V6 DNS requests to our DNS servers coming from the customers and we’ve seen
> a massive increase in our V6 traffic levels since enabling this – so we
> know for a fact customers are actually using the v6 in fairly large
> volumes.  In particular I see a LOT of v6 to Google, Facebook, Amazon AWS,
> and various other sites.
>

> So far so good though, but we’re constantly monitoring and hopefully in
> the next few weeks once we have collected a lot more statistics I’ll be
> able to share those as well.

Kudos once again!

> Andrew

Mukom Akong T.

LinkedIn:Mukom <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mukom>  |  twitter:
@perfexcellent

“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran