[afnog] A heads up on a nasty IPv6 bug

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Sun Aug 14 12:54:39 UTC 2016

The original theory (this was out of Cisco’s deployment guide, which now, having learnt a bit more, I realise was talking nonsense) had to do with clients disconnecting and reconnecting and override of old entries.

One thing we are finding (and thanks to Jan who pointed this out to me as well), is that Dynamic V6 on the mass market creates problems.

Particularly if you are doing a DHCPv6-PD and then grabbing a segment of the PD to assign to the LAN interface which in turn does RA.  Because if the client reconnects and gets a new DHCPv6-PD segment, and the RA then changes towards the client, the client ends up with two v6 subnets and two gateways until the RA expires, and this breaks things on a number of platforms. (And also ends up with certain large content providers seeing breakage and blacklisting recursives as a result lol)

The general consensus that I’m seeing elsewhere is that when doing v6 to the mass market, static is better and full of far less problems, and that’s what we’re switching to now with a provisioning system, so v6 prefix to every client will be static.

Andrew