[afnog] A heads up on a nasty IPv6 bug

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Aug 14 17:51:54 UTC 2016

On 14/Aug/16 16:32, Mukom Akong T. wrote:

> I can understand why it gets a new address. Unsure why it will get a
> second gateway considering that both RAs came from the same router
> thus same link local address that's a default gateway candidate. Can
> you shed more light on what the two different default gateways?

I think this is a code and process implementation issue on the CPE. It
would be too burdensome for the BNG to check and manage this.

> do you mean in lieu of DHCPv6-PD?
>
> With static prefix, then all CPE provision on the client network will
> also need to be manually done (or scripted somehow) which limits
> scalability right

Not necessarily. The only concern will be if customers churn, and you
need to recover IP address assignments tied to usernames that are no
longer in-service.

It's less than ideal, but static assignments override the automated
nature of RADIUS, which would make the process more reliable, but less
scalable.