[afnog] A heads up on a nasty IPv6 bug

Jan Zorz zorz at isoc.org
Tue Aug 16 07:13:06 UTC 2016

On 15/08/16 11:22, Mark Tinka wrote:

> On 15/Aug/16 10:35, Jan Zorz wrote:
>
>> This was the theory, now let's see some practice and real world - what
>> can go (and will) go wrong?
>
> Thanks, Jan.
>
> So the main issue is implementation buggy-ness in CPE and client OS
> code.

Well, it's mostly buggy-ness in clients. CPE's usually do the right
thing, some go even further. If I recall correctly, FritzBOX CPE even
remembers the last IPv6 PD assigned - for example if the CPE reboots
because of power failure - and when it comes back and if it gets
different PD than before reboot, it realizes that and sends the RA
packets with lifetime 0 for old PD. Usually CPEs do not do that if they
power-reboot and that can cause you issues again. So, it's a bit
two-fold, but mainly on the side of end-devices.

As already pointed out - IPv6 space is huge, so static assignments
should not be any issue.

Cheers, Jan