[afnog] IPv6 for residential customers in Mauritius

Loganaden Velvindron loganaden at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 12:16:14 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> On 17/Aug/16 13:42, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>
> [Speaking for myself]
>
> Dear All,
>
> I've been working closely with Orange for IPv6 deployment in Mauritius
> for residential customers together with a small team of volunteers
> including SM, Duksh & Yogesh. Orange has been offering ipv6 for a long time
> IPv6 but only to business customers.
>

> I think there is reasonable support across Africa for IPv6 to the business.
>
> The main challenge is to the consumer, both to the home and (especially) to
> the mobile.

Correct.

> The main concerns with residential customers are:
> 1) Support for IPv6 in the CPE (untested)
> 2) BRAS equipment (not configured and not tested)
>

> Do you have any idea where Orange are with implementing this in Mauritius?

Right now, I'm the first residential customer in Mauritius who has
IPv6. I live in Roches Brunes (Rose-Hill). We are working on getting
more (brave) people to test IPv6. I've been working closely with
Orange for some time now to get their BRAS and other equipment
configured for DHCP-PD. Again, there are a few issues that I've
identified, and working with them to have good parity with v4
particularly for the latency.

> I have a 30Mbit/s (FTTH) at home and just a few moments ago, we were
> able to get my home router to get IPv6 via DHCPv6-PD with the Huawei
> HG8245H modem. For now, we are using a /64. There are still a few
> issues that need to be fixed, but it's going in the right direction.
>
> Lastly, huge thanks to SM, who helped me debug an issue when I bridged
> the huawei modem for ipv6, and used my tp-link archer c7.
>

> This is great! We need more steps in this direction for all consumer
> broadband service providers in Africa. It's not impossible, it just needs
> commitment. And as you say, it has been done before. There are a lot of
> people willing to help if you reach out.
>
> Now to the mobile providers. Where your implementation plans? And no, no
> excuse that no mobile operator the world over has done - several have, and
> at scale, I might add.

I am also slowly making progress with the local mobile providers.
However, it will take time. It's very likely that FTTH customers will
be the first to get IPv6 in Mauritius, then the mobile customers will
follow.

> Mark.

Thank you for your kind words, Mark.