[afnog] NEWS: Collecting African IXP Colocation Data for research purposes (following on Joint Study which Identifies Infrastructure Development as Top Priority for ICT in Africa)

Roderick roderick.fanou at imdea.org
Thu Feb 25 22:52:49 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

Following on this mail. We are currently performing a studying line with the conclusion 3 of the published  ISOC report (Infrastructure development is the topmost priority of ICT African Policymakers today)

In order to give ourselves the means to analyze (for research purposes) the impact that interconnecting African IXPs would have on the Internet ecosystem,
we have been collecting colocation data at these IXPs from IXP websites, PeeringDB, Telegeography's Internet Exchange Map, and PCH.
Since those information may not be up to date,  we have tried during the last 2 months to validate it by sending the survey below to IXP NOC administrators:

As far as your IXP  is concerned,

1- Could you please give us a list of your members with their corresponding AS numbers ?

2- Could you please add/validate your IPv4 and IPv6 peering LAN as well as your Administration LAN ?

3- Could you please add the IXP AS numbers if there are any ?

4- Is the IXP-AS peering at the IXP platform ?

5- Do you think your IXP would be open to connecting with other IXPs in order to increase peering in your sub-region?

20 IXPs (52%) replied to our mails out of 38. We thank all IXP NOC admins who answered.
However, we believe this is insufficient and are willing to reach 80-90% of IXPs data validation and hence a trustful  list of the IXPs/ IXP members.

Here are the 18 IXPs that lack:

MR; Mauritania; RIMIX
SD; Sudan; SIXP;
MU; Mauritius; MUIXP;
ZW; Zimbabwe; ZINX;
ZA; South Africa; NAPAfrica JB;
ZA; South Africa; NAPAfrica DB;
ZA; South Africa; NAPAfrica CT;
BW; Botswana; BINX;
AO; Angola; ANGOLA-IX;
SZ; Swaziland; MBabane-IX;
CI; Ivory Coast; CIVIX;
LR; Liberia; LIBERIA-IX;
BF; Burkina Faso; BFIX;
GM; Gambia; SIXP-GM;
TN; Tunisia; TUNIXP;
MZ; Mozambique; MOZIX;
RE; Reunion; Renaterix;
NA; Namibia; Whindoek-IX

In case the NOC administrator/members of any of those IXPs are members of this mailing list and have not received our mail/have not replied to our survey, it will be helpful, it they could please do so.
The survey can be filled in 5-10mn (For question 1, you can give a url to your looking glass or to an updated website if there is any).
If you are an ISP,  member of these IXPs you can also reply. My mail is: roderick.fanou at imdea.org.
Finally, if you have the contact of any of those NOC admin, feel free to send it to us.

We have not found any information about the following IXPs. We do not know if they exist and up to now are not planning to  include them in the study :
SC; Seychelles; Seychelles-IX
MG; Madagascar; Madagascar-IX
LS; Lesotho; LIXP
GA; Gabon ; GA-IXP

Any comment about them is welcome as well.

Thanks and regards,

Roderick Fanou
PhD Student @ IMDEA Networks Institute
Visiting Graduate Sudent @ CAIDA/SDSC