[afnog] Subscriber Management with BNG

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jan 20 12:15:00 UTC 2016

On 20/Jan/16 11:44, Mark Elkins wrote:

> A suitable allocation to an end user is anything between a /48 and
> perhaps stretching to a /60 (nothing smaller).

I'd say a /48 and /56 are reasonable.

A /60 would be pushing the limits, I think.

At any rate, avoid NAT44 if possible. AFRINIC still has some address
space, and if you can show justifiable need, you should not need to
consider NAT44.

> Even if you disable the IPv6 configuration to some home users (for what
> ever reason), build a dual stacked network.

IPv6 is sorely lacking in the broadband Access network in Africa. If
this is a greenfield for the OP, do the best you can to make sure you
support it from Day One.

The ASR9000 as a BNG (and all the back end subscriber management
infrastructure) will support IPv6 quite easily, so focus on the
difficult part, which is the CPE.

For the CPE, you want one which has (or plans to have) support for
464XLAT, just for the day when you no longer have any IPv4 addresses to
assign to your customers. This may also be a good time to sit with Cisco
(or some other vendor) to find out if they have any solid plans for
vCPE's. With the CPE smarts in the network, it becomes easier to add and
support features such as IPv6 on an ongoing basis.