[afnog] Blue Thursday

Paul McMaster paul at vanilla.co.za
Thu Jan 21 16:09:01 UTC 2016

Quite a few ISP's in SA and I presume also others are having issues
with international.

>From TENET:
Both failures appear to be terrestrial - the WACS failure is confirmed
to be in the UK and the SEACOM failure is reported to be in Egypt.
Subsea failures would have been much more worrying as they can take
days, even weeks, to fix, whereas terrestrial failures are
generally addressed within hours. We accordingly have reason to
believe that service will be restored reasonably soon. Notwithstanding
this, we're also investigating restoration options from other
providers as a backup.

I know those that use SAT3/SAIX for international transit are ok.

Paul