[afnog] Hackathon

Kofi ANSA AKUFO kofi.ansa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 08:52:10 UTC 2016

Sounds interesting Logan,

Perhaps the theme should focus on leveraging current hot technologies that
will enable us to be at par with our colleagues on other continents.

See a few suggestions below to consider ...

Many organisations have managed to migrate and or deploy some form of cloud
infrastructure in our region but are just realizing 13% - 18% of the full
benefits of their infrastructure.
  ==>. Now we should focus on assisting the community to tune their systems
to reap the remaining 82% "*Increasing agility — reducing server and
application provisioning from 1 - 2 days to 3 minutes as well as reducing
operational costs by say 85%*" .

So lets focus on digesting projects like openstack and its components -
which are gradually taking center stage as well as leverage configuration
management and automation tools like puppet and containers.

... And whilst we are at this it will be great to see the R&D and Training
departments of our NOGs as well as AfriNIC to collect data on such
deployments and revise their training to be integral to that respect.

The continent is relatively more connected now compared to 3-4 years ago.
We should fully exploit these gains:
- Building container lab frameworks where our community members can hold
online network design training and competitions. [Your hackathon could be
delivered on this platform :)  and become a more regular activity rather
than a one time event]
- Collaborate more with NREN to develop online course contents and seed
research in our universities.
- deliver some of our trainings like IPv6 through how they fit into new
paradigms like application staging and provisioning through containers.

The cloud paradigm and its associated driving technologies is *a reality
now* NOT VIRTUAL :) and we should exploit it to the fullest.

CHALLENGE: It will be interesting to see an integrated RPK, IPv4 and IPv6
 configuration training delivered as part of an online labs platform.
Participants should be able to spin up and create their own setups - throw
network orchestrations (SDN and NFV) into the configs, simulate on premises
cloud, demo best practices, guides and propositions by operators of
required feature development assistance ....  most important use it to
teach the very same technologies powering the labs.

The impact of such online collab lab (sponsored of course by benevolent
members of NOGs in our region) on RICH training content creation and
achievement  of set awareness targets in relatively short time span.

Times are changing and such labs and services should be available as
critical platforms for ICT development in our region.

cheers

K.