[afnog] GPON FTTH networks (in)security

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Nov 6 12:06:47 UTC 2016

On 6/Nov/16 12:18, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:

> European ISPs have already invested in their FTTH infrastructure. By
> contrast we are still deploying the internet in our region. Instead of
> focusing so much resources on the core of the network, it makes
> economical sense to also invest in the edge of the network, by
> improving the security, instead of simply aiming for IPv6 deployment.

I'm not sure what IPv6 has to do with it.

FTTH is a Layer 2 service, so any insecurities would affect both IPv4
and IPv6.

I will echo your sentiment that GPON, perhaps, was not built with the
utmost security in mind. This is a problem that can be associated with
several consumer technologies (the recent Dyn IoT issue being a clear
example).

The fact remains that GPON and Active-E are popular technologies in use
to deliver FTTH services to consumers. So it is reasonable for clueful
engineers such as Pierre Kim to bring these issues to the fore for both
service providers and vendors to fix.