[afnog] IPv6 in Zimbabwe

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Thu Sep 29 05:09:38 UTC 2016

Hi Guys,

So, let another exciting announcement – I apologize for the cross posting to both lists but I figured there were aspects of interest in both forums in what follows.

Yesterday we turned up IPv6 on our consumer products in Zimbabwe.  There are now in excess of 10 thousand FTTH users in Zimbabwe with active, live, native IPv6 – and they are actively using it.  This was the next phase after our smaller rollout in Kenya done a few weeks ago.

We crossed the 1.5gigabit/second of consumer v6 traffic last night in that particular location – and even more exciting, more than 70% of that traffic was sourced from CDN nodes and African peering – it did NOT come via long distance international links from Europe.

On the AFRINIC side – we followed the policy and registered each and every static customer assignment in the whois database – it held up well as we sent a bulk update with close to 15 thousand /48 assignments in a single update – my congrats to the AfriNIC team because that was one hell of a long update to process in one go.

So, with that said, others talk about being IPv6 ready – we can now proudly say we have gone from being IPv6 ready to being truly IPv6 active.

I expect the google stats and apnic stats will probably update in the next 2 or 3 days and it will be curious to see what shows up.  Let’s wait and see as the updates happen.

Thanks

Andrew