[afnog] FF 57

JP froztbyte at froztbyte.net
Fri Nov 17 15:10:35 UTC 2017

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 01:13:35PM +0200, Mark Elkins wrote:
> Ooohh... Firefox-57 - Loads at twice the speed....
>
> WTF! - all my Plugins have gone. The one's I've used for years -
> security type plugins, DNSSEC/TLSA, Flags (Where is the site hosted),
> IPv4/IPv6, Saved Passwds, Translators (so useful in Africa), OTP
> Generator...
>
> I've now brought back an older version but I'm in agreement with Mark.

Allow me to translate your email for others: "WTF! I'm running all this
software that hasn't seen an update even though everyone has known for
months that there is a breaking API change coming! How dare Mozilla
break my outdated crap?!"

This strikes me as a pretty ridiculous line of reasoning, given the
advances and capabilities that come forth from this release of Fx.
Reminiscent of the same people that commit themselves to running WinXP
far beyond the supported and secured lifetime of the product...

If your plugins haven't been updated, take that up with the plugin
developers. If the plugin developers don't care, deal with it the same
way you would with other dead software - by finding alternatives or
maintaining it yourself. Surely you've been around long enough
to know how this works.

-J

p.s. why on earth is your OTP generator in your browser? Can I donate
a YubiKey?