[afnog] FF 57

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Nov 18 11:59:45 UTC 2017

On 18/Nov/17 01:01, Philip Smith wrote:

> I must be doing something wrong, as I'm finding it an improvement over
> the old. Chrome is the CPU hog here, and Safari is just too unpredictable.

Chrome and Safari are light for me. The fan never goes. But that's also
probably because they have never been my primary browsers.

> I jumped away from the beta of FF57 when it first appeared a while back
> - no plugins that I used/needed, but now situation seems pretty decent.

I admit, FF 57 is sleeker and lighter (which means my fan runs at half
mast instead of full blast, hehe).

> FWIW, the plugins I can't live without are Adblock Plus and Ghostery,
> and I throw in Country Flags and Show Server IP for good measure.
>
> I'm just hoping that CZ.NIC will get around to updating the DNSSEC/TLSA
> validator at some point soon. And I used ColourfulTabs on FF56 - the
> author of that has appealed for financial help to update it...

So I'm guessing all of those are broken in FF 57, yes?

I don't use a bunch of add-ons on FF... just:

    - DownThemAll (need to overcome TCP).
    - Linkification (nice when the browser can detect links in text).
    - Status-4-Evar (progress bars of pages loading is a thing).

But alas, all those are broken in FF 57.

> Don't you have one browser running in each screen though? Multi-tasking,
> load sharing? :-)

A use-case for when I upgrade to the Touch Bar :-)...

I'm just enjoy not having to boot a Linux VM to enjoy a Maildir system
on my Mac. One step toward joy at a time :-)...