[afnog] The path to eliminating IPv4 in the backbone

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Oct 2 20:15:55 UTC 2017

On 2/Oct/17 14:40, Andrew Alston wrote:

> The mass recovery of v4 space when you’re running thousands of MPLS
> devices – becomes of major interest.

Agreed.

> Also for us – its about making sure the building blocks are in place –
> and getting feature parity is about applying pressure to the vendors –
> and what I’m finding in this space – vendors mmmm actually react and
> get things in play reasonably quickly if you stop buying certain
> devices because of lack of certain features.

Agreed as well.

We did put some pressure on Cisco and Juniper some 2 years or so ago. We
have LDPv6 support in IOS XR, but support is still immature in IOS and
IOS XE.

We've just rolled out Junos 16.1 on our MX boxes, which is where support
has been introduced. We'll do some lab testing first, but we're unlikely
to enable it across the board because of dodgy support in IOS XE.

At this stage, if we can get basic MPLSv6 forwarding done minus all the
fancy stuff (VPN's, TE, e.t.c.), that'll be a win. However, I don't
forecast that possibility until 2H'19, or even early 2020.