[afnog] IPv6 transition mechanism used by ISP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Dec 3 09:59:27 UTC 2018

On 3/Dec/18 11:48, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> Android and Windows support since several years ago.
>

> In Apple phones is not needed because they mandate the support of IPv6
> in apps. You only have the problem of tethering, but Apple has
> implemented the CLAT as well for tethering a few months ago (last iOS
> release).
>

> Windows 10 supports it as well. This is not so important because the
> most important path for 464XLAT is broadband networks is the CPE.

Good to hear - probably why 99% of things worked well during ZAPF.

> The document I mention before is precisely to ensure that CPEs support it.
>

> If you CPE doesn’t, just reflash it with OpenWRT, and you’re done!

Easy for you and me, yes.

Granny down the road just wants her MTV :-).

The CPE has always been the weakest link. There seems to be some mention
of Mikrotik supporting 464XLAT, but the URL with that blog is dead. I've
had a Mikrotik hAP Lite CPE for my FTTH service at my house since 2016.
It's quite regularly updated (at least once a month) compared to when I
had a Netgear, Linksys or Calix CPE. And Grandma won't need to flash it
with whatever...

There are probably other CPE vendors that don't feel the only way to
update your device is by walking into the store a year later to buy a
new one, and perhaps the solution lies in those... those that have a
decent product that can easily be rolled out, and will continue to
receive updates as and when.