[afnog] SRv6

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Wed Dec 12 07:24:51 UTC 2018

Heh again – SR without SRv6 – gets rid of LDP anyway – and RSVP-TE is also covered – because SRTE still works with normal SID’s.

The ONLY difference between SR and SRv6 is that instead of using the standard label stack as a kinda “packet wrapper” you are embedding the stuff inside extension headers – the rest of the stuff – applies entirely equally to both.

That’s what I don’t understand.

On standard SR – I can use RSVP pop and go – I can traffic engineer – I have NO need of LDP (other than if I’m using Martini, and that’s the same with SRv6 – because Martini has explicit LDP binding) – etc etc

The problem with SRv6 is that you are implementing variable length headers onto the ASIC’s – which is infinitely more complex – and that creates some very interesting challenges.  Effectively with SR – dependent on the implementation – you can eliminate the need for entropy labels by doing L4 hashing beneath the labels – I cannot see how you are going to do that if your packet header processing becomes as complex as it would in the case of SRv6.

Andrew